Re: Corrected di-el strength of gas

Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla-at-tesla-coil-dot-com>

 >Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >
 >What is the source of the list?

The source is the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 83rd Edition
2002-2003, page 15-34

 >I'm curious, because air has a widely accepted breakdown voltage of around
 >3kV/mm, and you give 0.97.

You're right on the 3kv/mm, but the 0.97 is the di-electric strength
relative to nitrogen, not a strict kv/mm measurement.  According to this
handbook, the kv/mm of air with flat electrodes is 3.00, then it goes on to
separately list two other kv/mm numbers for air, i.e., 0.4-0.7 & 1.4
without specifying electrode type or any other conditions.  The references
for those last two vague km/mm measurements are Kabuki, Yoshimoto, et. al.
IEEE Trans., DEI-4, 92, 1997 and Al-Arainy, Malik and Cureshi IEEE Trans.,
DEI-1, 305, 1994.