Re: Streamer model?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 6:41 AM
Subject: Streamer model?

 > Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > Hi All,
 >      Insomnia has brought out the following question/ideas.
 >
 > 1) Does anyone have a handle on the speed of propagation of a "typical"
 > streamer? Is there such a thing as a typical one?

There is a fair amount of research on this, at least for big sparks.  I
can't recall the numbers off hand, but I think it's in the 1E6-1E7 m/sec
range. However, bear in mind that it goes in jumps.  A short distance at a
Mm/sec, then a pause, then a short distance, then a pause, etc.

 > 2) What's wrong with the following model?
 > A streamer as a string of switches, resistors and caps such that the each
 > switch closes when Delta V across it gets high enough, and reopens when
 > V(in) gets low enough. RCs cause time delay to the next switch.

A fairly good model... one could also use a very slow transmission line as a
model