Re: phase conversion

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Matt <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>
 >
 > I seem to remember a post some time about being able to get three pahse
 > power from single phase power by wiring up 3 or 4 transformers in some
 > fashion. I have looked high and low but can not seem to find it. maybe i'm
 > just out of my mind? can someone please point me in the correct direction?
 >
 > -matt

	No way with transformers only.  You can change any polyphase form into
any other with transformers, but with single phase there's nothing you
can do.  It is possible to use capacitors to provide phase lead, but the
phase is load sensitive.  If you're trying to run a three phase motor on
single phase there is a way.  There are so called "phase convertors"
which use a capacitor start arrangement and then switch the capacitor
out of the circuit once the motor is running.

Ed