RE: THOR: First observations on streamer formation (try II)

Original poster: Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com

Hi Antonio,

 > Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz"
 > <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
<SNIP>
 > Something that nobody appears to know: How much voltage is necessary
 > for streamer formation? We know relations between the input power and
 > the spark length, but where does the voltage enter in this?
 > Some experiments with constant energy per bang but different voltages
 > would put some light on the subject. Needs different primary
 > capacitors
 > and primary voltages, and retuning.

As I have only one capacitor available at the moment, I cannot
distinguish energy from voltage effect.

 > If you can synchronize a camera and the "bangs", you could look at
 > how a streamer forms and grows.

We are working on arranging $$$ for that. We are talking about >35000$
money. Last year I applied for four scholarships to buy a fast camera,
got none :(

 > If you can produce streamers in a systematic way, measure the output
 > voltage while the streamers propagate.

I need to find a way to record (see) the streamer elongation. Need to
measure the current into the streamer.

 > Look at when streamers start to form, if during the energy transfer
 > transient or after the gap quenches.

Absolutely. Need for measurement as above.

 > Look if first, second, or nth notch quenching makes some difference,
 > and what difference.

Yes. At the moment I have very tight gap, resulting in quenching after
the fourth (!) notch.

 > Have you seen my comment about a different tuning for a Tesla
 > coil that
 > increases the voltage gain beyond that 18% increase described in your
 > RSI paper?

No. Where?

Best Regards