RE: TC Spark Energy

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 11 Mar 2004, at 22:56, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
 >

 > Malcolm -
 >
 > Note that it is the energy in the spark that we are after not voltage.
 >
 > Efficiency = energy out/energy in
 >
 > The problem is to find the energy to produce a spark of a certain
 > length with a certain TC of a certain design.
 >
 > John Couture

When you are talking spark length, voltage is most certainly one of
the dependencies. 1J at a voltage of 1V is not going to produce a
terribly long spark. Neither for that matter is 1MJ. One of the expts
I suggested to Marco should help in determining just how important
voltage is beside the other factors, particularly in repetitive
operation.
     A low capacitance (read "small") coil pumped with 1J can be made
to produce the same voltage and single shot sparklength as a much
larger, higher capacitance coil fed with 10J.

Malcolm