RE: Pig setup help.

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 12:21 PM 13/03/04 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
 >
 >JB -
 >
 >Why are you recommending not to connect the transformer case to the power
 >line (green wire) ground?  It is my understanding that connecting the
 >transformer case to the power ground (green wire) is to prevent the power
 >system wiring from creating a hazard. If there is a fault in the transformer
 >the power system high voltage can cause a high potential from case to
 >ground. Connecting the transformer case to ground (green wire) can eliminate
 >this hazard.  An electrical fault in the transformer can cause a potential
 >difference between the power ground and the TC ground. However, check with
 >the electric company for their transformer grounding rules.  They have no
 >rules for Tesla coils.
 >
 >John Couture

Hi John,

Basically I was just scaling up what is recommended for NSTs and MOTs.
The current thinking seems to be that we should end the power ground
(green wire) at the filter in the low voltage feed to the transformer.
The case of the NST, or the mid-point connection of an MOT stack goes
to the dedicated TC ground.  I agree with you in that should there be
a fault within the transformer there could be the possibility for big
trouble.  Mind you, I don't think any of us are remotely close to our
transformers when power is applied, be they NSTs, MOTs, or pigs, so
we're fairly safe with the hookup.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle