RE: Converting to "Pig Power"

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

It depends on what kind of load it was designed for. A
motor has a fairly large inrush current, which the
motor starter contacts have to deal with. As Jim Lux
mentioned, the aux contact(s) are also handy, though
you accomplish the same with two relays, using a
second relay powered by the first.

If your relay's good for 75 amps, I wouldn't be to
worried. Just keep an eye on those contacs, and don't
rely on an open relay to kill power. If your contacts
fuse together, the tiny spring in a relay may not be
strong enough to open it. My 90 amp three phase
starter has a fairly beefy spring and the contacts
open a fair amount. I also love the beefy sound of it
closing.

Adam