Re: THOR: First observations on streamer formation (try II)

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Marco,

Excellent - another tool is available for probing the mysteries of streamers!

Although it's not very surprising that you would see streamer growth during
a single bang, especially if the initial corona breakout voltage is
significantly below Vmax of your system, it is interesting that you saw
forked and multiple streamers on a single bang. These are likely the
effects of injected space charge from previous streamer(s) influencing the
preferred direction taken during propagation of a new streamer.

Because there's significant charge transferred during each "step" of
streamer growth, it should be possible to indirectly measure this via
resonator base current. Following are a dozen good references covering
various aspects of corona and streamer formation, modeling, and
theory/measurement. Paper #7 below discusses an alternative approach of
measuring streamer current using a low voltage electrode that may have
potential applicability, and paper #10 covers charge expenditure versus
streamer length. Several discuss streamer development/growth under
oscillatory voltages (typically switching impulses in power transmission).

1. Corona Inception Under Steady and D=dV/dt (since corona is a precursor
to streamer formation):
Abdel-Salam, M.; Allen, N.L., "Inception of corona and rate of rise of
voltage in diverging electric fields",  Science, Measurement and
Technology, IEE Proceedings A , Volume: 137 Issue: 4 , July 1990

2. A good discussion of initial corona formation and reverse discharges
from local space charge region for oscillatory (33 kHz) discharges:
Harid, N.; Waters, R.T., "Statistical study of impulse corona inception
parameters on line conductors", Science, Measurement and Technology, IEE
Proceedings A , Volume: 138 Issue: 3 , May 1991

3. A good discussion of the effects of space charge and corona for
conductors energized by AC. Not clear how much applies when the frequency
is increased:
Rickard, D.A.; Dupuy, J.; Waters, R.T., "Verification of an alternating
current corona model for use as a current transmission line design aid",
Science, Measurement and Technology, IEE Proceedings A , Volume: 138 Issue:
5 , Sept. 1991

4. Modeling of long sparks using equivalent RLC networks:
Fofana, I.; Beroual, A., "A model for long air gap discharge using an
equivalent electrical network", Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, IEEE
Transactions on [see also Electrical Insulation, IEEE Transactions on],
Volume: 3 Issue: 2 , April 1996

5. Good discussions of streamer growth and why streamers branch or have
multiple segments:
A. Watson, D.B.; Ma, L., "Investigation of impulse spark trajectory in air
between hemispherically-ended rod and plane electrode", Science,
Measurement and Technology, IEE Proceedings- , Volume: 143 Issue: 2 , March
1996

B. Watson, D.B.; Ma, L., "The impulse breakdown trajectory in air between
rod and plane electrodes", Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, IEEE
Transactions on [see also Electrical Insulation, IEEE Transactions on] ,
Volume: 4 Issue: 1 , Feb. 1997

6. Good discussion of corona and the influence of space charge under double
exponential and oscillatory impulses (at 33 and 125 kHz):
Rickard, D.A.; Harid, N.; Waters, R.T., "Modelling of corona at a
high-voltage conductor under double exponential and oscillatory impulses",
Science, Measurement and Technology, IEE Proceedings- , Volume: 143 Issue:
5 , Sept. 1996

7. Measuring streamer currents in a novel fashion:
Lan Gao; Cooray, V.; Thottappillil, R.; Scuka, V., "Study of
cathode-directed positive streamers in air by streamer current and
luminosity measurements", Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena,
1997. IEEE 1997 Annual Report., Conference on , Volume: 2 , 1997

8. Model for entire discharge for long air gap RF discharges under impulse
and oscillatory excitation - extends modeling work from paper #4 above:
I Fofana and A Béroual, "A predictive model of the positive discharge in
long air gaps under pure and oscillating impulse shapes", J. Phys. D: Appl.
Phys. 30 No 11 (7 June 1997) 1653-1667

9. Discussion of the mechanisms involved in reigniting the arc channel in
long air gaps (useful for understanding bang-to-bang leader/streamer growth):
N L Aleksandrov and E M Bazelyan, "The mechanism of re-breakdown within a
post-arc channel in long non-uniform air gaps", J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 31
No 11 (7 June 1998) 1343-1351

10. Useful discussion on Charge Consumption for long sparks (up to 20
meters) - potentially important for understanding the magnitude of charge
transfer between topload and streamers versus streamer length:
T Reess, J Paillol, A Gibert and P Domens, "A study of the mean charge
consumption of long sparks in air as a function of the gap length and the
impulse shape", J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 31 No 14 (21 July 1998) 1712-1722

11. Interesting paper showing modeling and behavior of moderate and long
gaps under impulse and oscillatory excitation:
P Ortega, P Domens and A Gibert, "Predictive modelling of positive leader
propagation under standard and oscillatory impulse shapes",
J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 27 No 6 (14 June 1994) 1233-1241

12. A good paper that discusses space charge and streamer branching, and
why positive streamers and Lichtenberg Figures show branching angle of
about 39 degrees. Also includes ANSYS modeling:
Mose Akyuz, Anders Larsson, Vernon Cooray, Gustav Stransberg, "3D
Simulations of Streamer Branching in Air",
http://www.hvi.uu.se/IFH/students/mose/mose_artiklar/Sreamer%20Branching.pdf

Please keep us posted of your findings!

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP