RE: TC Spark Energy

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Since John is asking about Joules, this implies he is talking about
single-shot operation.  While this may be useful for quantifying
efficiency in that mode of operation, single-shot operation is not
something most of us are equipped to do.  A DC power supply is needed.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Perhaps we can all supply John with some data from each of our coils and
he
could do a tabulation and find an average or statistical value.

Dr. Resonance

  > For over twenty years the coilers on the List have used output spark
length
  > to compare their coils. The input is usually shown as a total input
watts.
  > The problem is that this does not give the coiler any indication of
the
  > actual energy per spark to give a true comparison of Tesla coils. To
my
  > knowledge no coiler (see below) has ever determined the TC input
energy
  > (joules) per spark for these comparisons. Do any coilers know how
this
could
  > be best accomplished?
  >
  > The overall engineering efficiency is represented by
  >
  >     Percent efficiency = 100 x Spark Length/Input Energy (joules)
  >
  > The spark length could be in centimeters, inches, etc, and the input
energy
  > in joules or watt-seconds. The energy in the spark output is a
complex
  > parameter so would have to be a compromise. In past postings the
approximate
  > losses in the TC system have been determined and the characteristics
of
the
  > spark have been estimated. The preliminary tests I have made gave
8.5
  > inches (21.59 cm) per joule of input energy. Has any other coiler
made
these