Re: CD 942 Failure

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

The 9 I have do not seem to have such defects, though I can only check
about 75% of the surface area of the soldered caps.  I would be interested
in Terry's analysis of the potential defect, if Terry is willing.

For some reason (like the fact I've been hlding onto those caps for about 9
months now), that bump you describe sounds eerily familiar.

Terry, for the uninitiated, what are those two pictures of, and what is the
scale?  Is that more or less real color, or did the flash (or scan) alter
the coloring?

John mentioned tapping at 6 turns, what is the inductance at this tap
point?  Or give dimensional info and we'll calculate it :)

This is certainly interesting.  I wonder if some sort of HF resonance is
being set up on those really long transmission lines?  When we performed
the destructive testing on one of our secondaries a few years ago, we
removed the topload at one point and tapped at about 2-2.5 turns (about
2.5uH).  Running just over resonant value capacitor and about 12/180 NST
input (4 strings of 9 .10uF caps for .044uF) the primary got fairly
warm.  The blown static spark gap a la Marc Metlica (which is still used)
got hot enough to melt the PVC housing.  I don't believe the caps got warm
at all, but I personally didn't test their warmth.  Peak currents would
have been on the order of 1900A peak assuming Vfire ~16kV and ~4ohms tank
resistance.  Then again, the .10uF caps have a higher peak current rating,
and have more strings in parallel.  This was the most aggressive test we
could come up with using the MMC in a TC - perhaps we should have used 15
foot long wiring from the cap to the primar!
y?

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group