Re: CD 942 failure tonight

Hi Terry (and John),

John using 4 strings of 9   0.15uf caps for a total of 66.7 nf.  My spice
simulation for that value indicated that 26KV could result if the safety
gaps didn't fire.   Given enough RMS current to make the primary hot and
potential for high voltage, I'm wondering if the failure was a combination
of the two.  I think John should increase the number per string and increase
the total capacitance to 83 nf.  Also set the safety gap at the SRSG and at
the NST to just not fire with the unloaded NST voltage.  It might be useful
to verify the Vs_oc and Is_sc values to make sure the NST isn't doing
something unexpected.  If the shunts were altered, or like you say are
saturating, I would think this could have the affect of raising the Cres of
the transformer.

I don't remember if John indicated 50 or 60Hz line.  I've been assuming 60Hz
in the calculations (John, maybe you can verify this).  If he does have
50Hz, then the Cp needs to be raised to 100nf.

Does seem like the Cp needs to be close to the primary and SRSG because of
the high current paths.

Gerry R