Re: Immersing electronics in 10W-30?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 11:07 AM
Subject: Immersing electronics in 10W-30?

 > Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-hydrogen18-dot-com>
 >
 > With my voltage multiplier now operating at 5000 VAC input I am faced with
 > a problem of corona. Can I simply immerse the electronics in
10W-30(unused)
 > to solve the problem? It shouldnt degrade the plastic of the caps or the
 > plexy glass it is mounted on should it?
 >
 > ---Eric

Not generally.. but a lot of adhesives fall apart on oil immersion.

If you're going to be using gallons of oil, you should call a local jobber
and buy a 5 gallon pail of real electrical insulating oil. It might be
cheaper (runs about $5/gallon, last I checked), although, I concede that if
you can sometimes find motor oil for less than $1/qt on sale.  I wouldn't
use multigrade oil or detergent oil.  You want the simplest, least additive,
etc. single weight.

The breakdown voltage of oil is largely determined by microscopic particles
in the oil.  Many motor oils contain just such microscopic particles for
wear reduction, acid neutralization, etc.

If you're only looking for a gallon or so, then USP mineral oil might be a
good bet.  Feed stores carry it as an animal laxative.

Water content is always an issue for insulating oils.