Re: realistic expectations from mini coil ??

Original poster: "Jon Lagler" <rockcrawl-at-enter-dot-net>

I have the primary tapped for maximum arc length to ground, half a turn in
either direction reduces output. Spark gap is as wide as it can go and still
operate reliably. The toroid is just a loop of 1.25" convoluted split wire
loom wraped with a kitchen foil. it's not perfectly round, the foil is as
smooth as I can get it by rubbing it out with my fingers, but I wouldn't say
it's smooth. I am getting lots of small 1-2 inch arcs all the way around as
well as the main 5" arc to ground. I've actually had the best results by
placing an empty soda can on top of the toroid and retuning, which tells me
I need a larger toroid. I also found that the ground arcs are brighter and
longer going to a metal chair placed on the carpeted floor next to the coil
than they are to a grounded rod connected to the bottom of the secondary. I
don't understand why, it must have something to do with the metal chair
altering the ground plane, but this is on a carpeted wood floor, the chair
has no connection to ground. The only grounding I have for the system is the
third prong on the power cord. The bottom of the secondady is wired to the
case of the NST which is connected to the ground on the power cord. I have
been running it off the GFI outlet in my kitchen.

Jon