Re: Terry Gap vs. TCBOR...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Luke, Terry, et. all:

Ok, I have done all the measurements for the
comparison.  Here is a text file detailing what
I found:

http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/brett/misc/TCBOR_vs_Fritz_static_gap_analysis.txt

I'm sorry about the chaotic nature of the
TCBOR gap spacing.  What can I say, I eyeballed it.
It works amazingly well considering.  I have run some
preliminary ~30 second tests with the gaps set as
stated near the bottom of the above file...as close to
equal total spacing as I could get them.  Performance
was amazing with the Fritz gap, free unattached
streamers were 3 feet plus, even at the relatively
small total gap spacing...easily connecting 5 or 6
times with a mike stand clipped via coax to the RF
ground.  With the TCBOR set to only 3 gaps (the 1st
three) streamers were barely over 1 foot, possibly
1.5'.

Aside from the comparison, one thing I've learned is
that changing the base in the Fritz gap from
unfinished maple to Lexan made the difference between
little to no performance and excellent performance in
the static gap.  Like I said a month or two
earlier...using unfinished wood in high voltage
applications in a humid climate is inviting failure.

The coil was running resonant with a Panasonic MMC.
Full system specs are at:

http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/brett/6inchcoil/6inch.txt

Pictures of the gaps, plus arcs and waveforms coming
soon.  Enjoy....oh, and also...I will note the point
on the variac scale where gap firing begins.

-Brett