Re: Full-Bridge -vs- Half-Bridge

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Terry is completely correct, but generally our switching devices can only
take so much current.  So say if you are running right at the SOA ratings
of a device in a half-bridge, then moved up to a full bridge, you would
have to adjust your "load" so that you do not exeed the current rating of
the device.

What it boils down to, David, is that a full-bridge will switch about 2X
the power (because its 2X the voltage swing and you want current to stay
the same (usually)).

An example would be for Jimmy Hynes DRSSTC, he recently ran it half-bridge
and got 60" sparks, full bridge got him 93" or so i think... this does not
follow what i said above (since he didnt modify his load, though he DID run
it with more cycles ;-) so its *like* a lower Z load sorta... it uses more
current), but it should give you at least a rough idea of what it boils
down to in real life.

Steve