Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Matt,
           Below I'll give two clear examples of why I left energy
considerations behind in the dust wrt TCs:

On 23 Jun 2004, at 22:46, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > In a message dated 6/23/04 11:33:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
 > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >
 > Giving an efficiency in power makes perfect sense.  Most devices are
 > rated in this way.  A motor has a certain electrical power in, and a
 > certain mechanical power output.  The efficiency is defined as
 > Mechanical power out / electrical power in.  A heater, lightbulb, and
 > many other devices can be given an efficiency rating the same way!
 > What doesn't make sense is to say we have a motor which has a certain
 > power output, and then try to calculate the energy output by lifting a
 > mass, or some other means and at the same time monitoring the input
 > power and integrating - much more of a pain, and will arrive at
 > (approximately, due to measurement error) the same result.
 >

 > Hi Sean,
 > Power makes sense for the devices you cite, but only because they are
 > fairly constant and continuous power-in, power-out devices with a load
 > that can be held constant during testing. None of this applies to a
 > Tesla coil. The input and output occur at different times, are of
 > different durations, different waveforms, different frequencies. In
 > this case, a good argument for energy measurement can be made.
 >
 > Matt D.

40J (for example) can give a totally different sparklength under the
following situations:

#1 - a single shot of 40J into cold air vs a shot of 40J into a hot,
well-established streamer path

#2 - 40J under either situation coming from substantially different
secondary coils, i.e. the L/C ratios and hence output voltages for
one thing being totally different.

Malcolm