Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

David

Comments

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: SSTC does 10 foot sparks
>Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:47:29 -0600
>
>Original poster: "David Rieben" <drieben-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com>
>
>Steve,
>
>This is a very impressive power vs spark length ratio! I
>may have to consider giving up on the pig coils and try
>to build one of these SSTC  coils to get that kind of
>performance. I fear that I, like some of the others have
>mentioned, am too unfamiliar w/ solid state electronics
>to comfortably take on building a SSCT of this magnitude. I know that IGBTs
>of this magnitude don't
>come cheap if you fry one or two of them in the learning
>process :^O

Yeah, ive been doing the solid state stuff for awhile and worked my way up.
There is a lot to learn, luckily i still have a lot of free time even
though i started college as a freshmen this year.  Luckily i havent lost
anything on the big coil yet, though i blew handfulls of IGBTs on the
smaller one.

>BTW, are these 10 ft streamers as loud as equivalent 10
>ft streamers from a pig driven coil pulling around 7 to 8
>kVA?

Oh you better believe it!  Power arcs are somewhat louder and nastier
sounding than just streamers... but this does plenty of power arcs ;)

I figure that they probably aren't just because the
>absence of a SG if for no other reason.

Ehh, in my experience the actual streamer output is much louder than the
gap.  I think most of the noise comes from the secondaries output, unless
you have maybe a really small TC that only does a few inches of spark.  The
IGBTs (From what ive been told) just make little clicks ;).

Steve

_