Re: Cap-driven x-former?

Original poster: "Robert Jones" <alwynj48-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi all,

This bit of info my help

Many years ago now I worked for a company that made power units for either
GE or GEC (I don't remember which). The power units were for a photocopying
machine.

My understanding was that they were constant voltage (stabilized)
transformers.  They had magnetic shunts and an extra secondary winding that
was connected to a cap. The secondary voltage was about 4kV and they were
used directly and via  doublers/triplers to supply the high voltages
required for the charging and discharging wires of the photo drum.  They
were big transformers as big if not bigger than an MOT. Although  now I know
that it is unlikely they needed anywhere near the power of a MOT.  Possibly
they needed low resistance for good regulation.  This was back in the days
when a serious copying machine was built like a tank and approaching the
size of a small car.

One more point it was my understanding that they used the magnetic
saturation of the main core as the stabilization effect and the cap and
shunts improved the wave shape of the output. The shuts may also regulate
the input current as the core saturates.  I believe because of the core
saturation effect and hence higher losses  most constant voltage transforms
are much larger than for a given VA rating than a regular transformer. This
may also have been why the GE/GEC units were so big given their probable VA
rating but I suspect it was also impart a very conservatively rated design
and  no strong pressure to be small or light weight.

Does it make sense to perform PF correction on the secondary of a
transformer? Unusual if nothing else.

Bob