Re: TC & Lightning

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Hi all,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 5:53 AM
Subject: Re: TC & Lightning

 > particles - so this is a natural guided wave phenomena. [+]
 >
 > Nearby discharges have some funny effects locally too. For several
 > seconds after the discharge you can receive all sorts of crackles
 > and hisses as the neighborhood fields and charge distributions sort
 > themselves out.
 >   http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/vlf/sf010303a.mp3

That reminds me of one occasion when I was observing a distant thunderstorm
in the yard when a one those spectacular sheet of lightning shot out from
the storm and over my head.  I am convinced that at that instant I felt the
hair on my head move. I am reasonably convinced that was what happened
because I know the effect from discharging a charge near by or from the
effect on my arm hairs when a crt  monitor is switched on or off. I have
never noticed it with a TC (to keep it on valid topic). I have observed
similar sheets before but never experienced or noticed that effect. Possible
due to there be no wind that evening and or because my hair was just the
right length (say 10mm) to detect it. I have been with in 200 m of a strike
but any effect if any on my hairs were probably swamped by the sensor over
load of the flash and sound.

Bob Jones