Re: without wires?

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

Unfortunately, Tesla's use of the ionosphere is another one of those urban
myths that just won't die, even though it has been "buried" several times
on this list.
     Tesla describes in patent No. 645,576 using the upper region of the
troposphere (approx.10-15 miles high) as his conduction layer.
     The ionosphere (approx.50-200 miles high) has pressures 100-1000 times
too low for transmission by conduction as Tesla envisioned it. He specified
required air pressure as 100~150 mmHg.
     The existence of the ionosphere was not even established until several
years after the Wardenclyffe tower was demolished, Even the theoretical
possibility of its existence wasn't proposed by Oliver Heaviside until 2
years AFTER Tesla's patent was issued.

As stated many times before, it is a common mistake of science buffs to
read back into the history of science and technology, developments which
occurred at much later dates. Example: the USS Nautilus, the first
nuclear-powered sub was mis-named due to a mistake at Walt Disney Studios.
Jules Verne's sub was envisioned by himself as powered by a "Pile", but a
"Voltaic" Pile (i.e.a battery). The "Atomic Pile" (aka reactor) had just
recently been invented at the time the Disney movie version of "20,000
Leagues Under the Sea" was being made, and bingo! it was assumed by the
Disney crowd that Verne meant the latter. After millions of people had seen
the movie, even the Navy couldn't buck the idea, and the myth of the
Nautilus has been with us ever since. (Walt wouldn't mis-inform us!!)

     In the next few decades, it may be possible to test Tesla's system as
envisioned at 10-15 miles altitude using a balloon with a tether/conductor
of carbon nano-tubes. And in a few years, someone will claim, in all
sincerity, that Tesla also envisioned buckyballs and nano-tubes.

Matt D.

In a message dated 7/24/04 8:25:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,