Re: DC Spark gap coils, why not current limit on the LV AC side?

You might also try hooking a 500 pF 40 kV ceramic style cap directly across
the spark gap.  Early wireless pioneers used this method to obtain a
"negative resistance" in the sparkgap.  The cap is charged and fires to
ionize the plasma thus saving the tank caps energy to provide the resonance
without losses.  Poulson used these techniques and others to make the spark
gaps more efficient.

Dr. Resonance

 > I have solved to my satisfaction the problem of DC power arcing.  I use DC
 > resonant charging, with the inductor being about 200 mH.  The key is to
 > charge the tank cap through one set of gaps on a RSG, then use another set
 > of gaps to discharge the tank cap through the primary coil.  As the rotor
 > turns, this action repeats.  My RSG has 8 spinning electrodes and two sets
 > of stationary electrodes.  There is never a spark gap directly across the
DC