Re: Resonance, and now magnifiers

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

I'm not quoting Terry's original message because it's way too long, but
I think all of what he says makes sense.  In particular, I've always
suspected the reason the top loading helps is that the greater amount of
energy stored when the streamers start.  As for the impedance of the
discharges themselves, I suspect they're so low compared to the
equivalent parallel losses of the secondary that the "unloaded Q" of any
decent design really doesn't affect performance much.

Ed