Re: Super Small SSTC

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jim Mitchell" <Electrontube-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>
 >
 > That's not true,  SSTCs are INDEED Tesla coils.  They are air cored resonant
 > transformers which produce an electrical discharge.

Just because we are calling them in this way. Their operation is very
different from the operation of a classical Tesla coil. The essential
difference is that in a Tesla coil all the energy is present in the
system from the start, and the operation is governed by the zero-input
response of the network. In SSTCs, the initial energy is zero, and the
operation is due to the zero-state response of the network.

 > The new generations of SSTCs also HAVE tank capacitors,  so how would you
 > classify those?

Technically they would be "double resonance networks operating with
zero-state response".
These structures with two coils and two transformers are the true
zero-state response equivalent of the conventional Tesla coil.
Versions with direct drive of the primary transformer are essentially
second-order circuits, much simpler and limited in operation
possibilities.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz