Re: Super Small SSTC

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: FIFTYGUY-at-aol-dot-com

 >      And how is that different from a Tesla Magnifier? Does the RF power
 > source have to be an inductively-coupled resonant circuit to make a TC a TC?
 > Wouldn't that exclude some simple SSTC's?

A magnifier is a Tesla coil with a third coil connected between the
top of the secondary coil and the capacitive terminal. It's a
capacitor-discharge system, as a Tesla coil.
"SSTCs" are -not- Tesla coils, although Tesla tried some experiments
in this direction too, the systems are similar, and the name can be
extended, as long as we know about what we are talking.

 >      So what *IS* the exact definition of a Tesla Coil these days?
 >      If I was to arbitrarily define a TC as:
 >
 >      "A device designed to produce high-voltage alternating-current
discharges
 > from a low-voltage power source by exciting the resonant mode of the output
 > stage,"
 >
 >      that includes every topology I can think of. Including flybacks (if
they
 > are used to make sparks).

A Tesla coil is, precisely, only the system composed of a transformer
with
capacitive loads at both sides, that transfers energy initially stored
in
the primary capacitor to the secondary capacitance.
"Flybacks" are closer relatives to "induction coils", where the initial
energy is stored in the primary inductor. Also, these systems are
usually
designed without regard to the resonances of the system, although they
can be designed to operate in multiple resonance mode too.

SSTCs and other similar devices that use active elements to drive a
resonant circuit are closer relatives to CW radio transmitters.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz