Re: Building single pulse capacitors

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Chris,

On 14 Jul 2004, at 17:28, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mudford, Chris" <chris.mudford-at-agresearch.co.nz>
 >
 > Hi all
 >
 > With the recent discussion on home built caps again can anyone comment
 > on building HV single discharge caps suitable for a marx generator.
 > Thinking rolled suitable for holding off 30 kV DC at 1-2 nF.  What
 > considerations aren't required compared with home built tesla caps.
 >
 > Cheers, Chris (NZ)

I built some according to the recipe I outlined in this article:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/MalcolmWatts/wwP194C.jpg

     I don't remember the plastic sheet dimensions for the Marx
capacitors but do remember that they could withstand 15kVDC and were
about 7nF each. They were quite compact also (a lot smaller than the
0.1uF cap mentioned in the article). More layers of dielectric and
greater edge-edge clearances are all that is needed to boost the
working voltage. For use in the Marx banks, the end foils were simply
pushed between two somewhat springy pieces of heavy copper wire whose
other ends with suitable shaping also doubled as gap electrodes.
       I should really build a website and get some pics onto it when
I'm not so busy with other things.

Malcolm