Re: Quarter Wavelength Frequency

Racing sparks usually result from overcoupling.

In coils with small toploads this can occur due to the fact two different
frequencies are in operation simultaneously.  This means a 1/4 wavelength
appears up the coil for each of the two different frequencies and the high
potential is developed at two different locations.  The two freqs beat
against each other and produce a third beatnote freq.  The beats also
develop due to the smaller resonances along the coil which can beat against
the principle freq which again leads to uneven potentials developing along
the coil length.

The best cure for these problems include using a large topload as the large
capacitance forces max potential development at a single freq and helps to
minimize the small minor freqs.  Usually with proper coeff. of coupling and
a topload at least twice the dia. of the sec inductor "racing sparks" do not
develop.

For 4-6 inch dia. coils with 1,200 to 1,400 turns the sec winding should
start approximately 1.5 - 2.0 inches above the primary horizontal plane.

10-12 inch coils should use 3.5 inch elevation while 7 inches work best for
18 inch dia. sec.

A 24 inch dia. sec needs to have the winding start at 9 inches above the pri
horizontal plane.

Many experimenters have ignored this information or are unaware of it which
leads to the "racing spark" problems that are usually associated with
overcoupling.

Dr. Resonance