Re: 50kV xfmr

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren1-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

Your 50kv output with a full wave doubler (3 caps 2 diodes) means your
transformer is being multiplied by 5.6 times the AC rating (2.8 x 2).  ie
the transformer is rated at 9kv AC. Hardly big by NST standards. Similarly,
my 100kv DC mobile x-ray transformer is about 17 - 18 kv AC.  My dental
x-ray transformer however is (sadly, was) a true 60kv AC transformer.

Being DC, you wont be able to make a jacobs ladder unless you have a
resistor otherwise the cap discharges with a white high intensity spark then
needs time to recharge. The resistor will take a lot of the power.  Uses an
NST which is intrinsically current limited.

See the resistor I use in series with my 100kv x-ray unit to limit current
and also some big sparks.
http://tesladownunder.iinet-dot-net.au/Other_HV_stuff.htm#100kV

Peter
Tesla Downunder