Re: variac question

Original poster: Sean Taylor <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>

Those variacs would work fairly well (if your running less than 10 kVA or
15 kVA intermittently). just connect the variacs with a common shaft and
connect the neutral to the beginning of each winding and each of the 2 hots
to the end of the winding (or a tap as you see appropriate) of each
variac.  This will give you 0 to 240 (or higher if using a tap) between the
two brushes, and will be balanced around the neutral just as it was before
the variacs.  You'll still need some sort of current limiting, though.  Be
careful with that stuff!! :-)

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL