Re: Charging inductors for resonant charging

 >  > So then, what ARE people using for charging chokes in resonant
 >  > charging systems..
 >
 > Anybody running a Tesla coil from a ballasted transformer is running
 > a resonant charging system, a lot without realizing it I daresay.
 > Whether the system is resonant at mains frequency depends on the
 > component values of course but unless the system is heavily damped,
 > there would undoubtably some degree of resonant charging present.
 > In the case of a welder on the primary side of the transformer, its
 > mH-range inductance is transformed up to the Henries range on the
 > secondary side. Not quite the same thing as putting a discrete Henry-
 > range inductor on the secondary side since where the inductor is on
 > the primary side, the transformer has to withstand an extra voltage
 > burden across both its primary and secondary windings for any degree
 > of resonant charging.

I had realized that it's easier to ballast/charging choke on the primary
side for just the reason you describe. The problem is that it's hard to do
at DC <grin>.  Hmm. though.. if one were to ballast all three phases of a
transformer feeding a 6 pulse rectifier?