Re: tesla coil model

Original poster: Redmo-at-aol-dot-com

Thanks Antonio, for checking my simulation results. I added calculations to
integrate the losses in the primary and secondary resistors from time of
spark gap firing to first notch and got:
energy loss in primary (r1) = .18 joule
energy loss in secondary (r2) = .02 joule
with so much energy being lossed in the spark gap, I think spark gap
resistance reduction could be a major performance improvement area. The
rotory spark gap may do this somewhat by moving the electrodes closer to
each other that the static gap for the same firing voltage. However as we
all know, computer simulations are only as good as the models they are
based on. Modeling the spark gap as a simple resistor may not be very good.
I read somewere that the spark gap may have a somewhat constant voltage
drop across it when it fires, is this true?

Thanks, Russ