Re: Please help!

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Ronnie,

I think your questions all depends on what you want to do. The 4 NST's
could be farmed for 1800VA (nameplate). That would make a "goodly" supply.
However, regarding what it is you want to do, I'm referring to the 12 turn
primary. Assuming I some assumptions were correct on my part, I would show
the Fres for the loaded secondary about 246 kHz. To use all 12 turns on the
primary would require a tank cap value of .01uF.

I'm not sure what C would be for one of your 6x6 plate caps, but I figured
ideally at .0266uF. So 2 of these in series would yield .0133uF or 3 in
series would yield .0088uF. Have you measured the capacitance? That would
be a good idea given these are plate caps. I would recommend something in
the range of .0133uF which would allow a little less inductance than 12
turns, meaning you will have room for fine tuning the coil and still use
most of the turns on the primary. It should be noted you will be running
smaller than resonant (STR) as opposed to Resonant or LTR:

Yes, the spark gap and safety gap should be placed across the transformer:

View with fixed width font:

                                           " OOOOO "
                                               +
         NST                       Cap         S
-------+    +--------+------+-----| |-----+   E
|      |    |        |      |             P   C
|      p    |        |      |             R   O
+      p || s        |      o             I   N
A      p || s   Main o       Safety       M   D
C      p || s    Gap o       Gap          A   A
+      p || s        |      o             R   R
|      p || |        |      |             Y   Y
       --- MAINS                             ----- RF
       /// GROUND                            / / / GROUND

Take care,
Bart