Re: Weird ebay tesla coil...

Hi,

It is a common hand held "leak detector" type of Tesla coil.  Makes about
one inch mean sparks.  They are used in plastic, glass, and vacuum leak
testing.  Don't use them for natural gas leaks :o)))

http://www.electrotechnicproduct-dot-com/pinhole.html

Sort of fun toys, but they tend to be expensive ($200 new).  The design has
changed little since the 1920's

http://www.electrotherapymuseum-dot-com/Violet_Ray_Devices.htm

You will not find UL (or any other safety) labels on them "anymore" ;-)))

Cheers,

         Terry