breakout voltage

Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>

I found the following formula on the web.

The formula for the field strength on a conductor with a given radius is:
Field strength = Voltage / Radius.
The break down voltage for air is approximately 76KV / inch.
This value varies with humidity, frequency, temperature, barometric
pressure etc.
So combining these gives:
Max Voltage (before air breakdown) = 76KV * Radius (in inches)

Is this correct for a close approximation?
When applying this to a toroid I was assuming the minor radius should be
considered since it is the smallest curve on the toroid so the field
strength would be strongest there.
Am I correct in assuming this formula could be applied to the minor radius
of a toroid to get it's approximate break out voltage?

Luke Galyan
Bluu-at-cox-dot-net