Re: Sam Barros on Junkyard Wars...

Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <neko4-at-dodo-dot-com.au>

Oh my gosh! Its Sam Barros!you are a hero of mine :D Ive started to
replicate your experiments, starting with the easiest and going to the
hardest.  I built one of those potato guns, but couldn't find pipe rated to
a very high pressure, so I made a pneumatic one. It scared my neighbour
silly, and he called the police. The police came and stole it, coz its a
prohibited weapon here, bleh. I, against your many warnings, wanted to make
a substance which would detonate, so I made one of those 'deadly peroxides'
, methyl ethyl ketone peroxide. I used a salted ice bath and all, and it
worked very well, I soaked a very teensy square of newspaper in it and hit
it with a hammer, which was the only detonation where I was nearby. The
only other detonation I was about 30 meters away, I used an electronic
ignirtor :)
I also made a device very similar to the disk launcher you made. I couldn;t
afford enough low ESR capacitors to just use a plain disk, so I used a
magnet, it shot about one meter in the air.

Oh yes, extreme dremels was great :D
ok, so im probably a teenage wannabe bombmaker in your opinion now, but i
just wanted to let you know how much i enjoyed your site. People, if you
haven't seen it, its at
http://www.powerlabs-dot-org/index.html
its got everything from exploding cds to sandboarding. Oh, and you've got
to check out the vid of HF(aq) in a glass test tube :D

regards,
Arpit Thomas