Re: Any Geekgroup MMC failures out there??

Original poster: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Yeah. I remember that anomalous failure quite well. =D After we got the
problem fixed, my succeeding mmc did quite well for around five months of
pretty significant runtime, until coil operation started getting erratic in
about october (I think). I thought it was the caps or the sparkgap, so I
cleaned out the gap and replaced the cap with a spiffy new mmc (made with
panasonic caps) I bought from a fellow coiler. The coil worked fine, and
I'm pretty sure that it was the gap, but I still need to test those old
caps again. I'll switch the caps once I get my coil back from the local
high school where my previous electronics teacher is doing a "shock and
awe" intro for his new classes. =D
PS: Sorry about being such a headache to you geek group guys. I know it's
not your caps, I guess my coil just dosen't agree with them. (Or anything
else, for that matter)

Original poster: Mark Broker

FWIW, I only remember hearing about two anomalous failures. One was Chris
Roberts' MMC in late June-early July. I think the one prior to that, which
I think was probably winter/spring of 2003, was unexplained and dismissed
as a rare manufacturing defect. All of the other failures I remember
involved poor construction (I can think of two off the top of my head)
and/or deliberate overvoltages (John Dyer - I remember those Geek List
posts in June/July 2001!).

I remember others, but don't know if those were the CDE 942 caps (the "Geek
Cap") or some other make/model.

I would be interested to know what sort of runtimes the caps are seeing,
too, even if guessed to an order of magnitude.

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:12:! 39 -0700, Tesla list wrote:

 >Original poster: Terry Fritz
 >
 >Hi,
 >
 >I was just wonder if anyone had any failures of Geek group caps for "no
 >good reason"? I have not heard of any problems, but it seems like a good
 >time to ping the users out there to see if any problems have been
 >noted. Sort of just checking to see if there are any holes or unknown
 >problems we need to check into. Of course, if one does not follow the
 >tips or runs them out of what is recommended, that is your problem
 >;-)) But if you think you did everything right and they blew, I would
 >like to hear about it to see if any common trends or problems are out
 >there we don't know about that need fixing
 >
 >Perhaps additions to the "tips" too.
 >

 >Cheers,
 >
 > Terry

-Chris