RE: Bang Size

Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <neko4-at-dodo-dot-com.au>

well your comment set me a-thinking. Now a spark gap cool feature is that
it conducts only when the cao voltage gets high enough, right? But what if
you had a reliable, predictable cap charger? Surely you could use a very
large diameter rotary spark gap, only the disk(s) are moved closer
together, so that when its time to trigger, the terminals actually
physically touch, so that nomatter what the voltage across a 'gap' would
be, it'd conduct. this would be of very low resistance.
Of course youd need to make sure that your cap actually was charged by the
time the 'gap' fired, but that won't be difficult, especially not with high
amperages.  THe reason for the large diameter is then the electrodes wou;d
have a very high velocity, and any spark which forms when the electrodes
are say 0.5 cm away from touching, would be quenched extremely quickly.

SO in essence this would be like the stator of a permanent magnet dc motor
wouldnt it....