Re: HELP WIRING NST PLEASE WEIRD

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 12:01 PM 1/16/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "kayaker" <kayaker-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>
>Hello Ravi:
>
>Please, Don't Ground Yourself. This isn't your digital electronics. Where
>grounding yourself in a digital circuit is meant too equalize static
>electricity. IF YOU GROUND YOURSELF IN A TESLA COIL CIRCUIT! YOU BECOME PART
>OF THE PATH TOO GROUND! In other words your body looks like a resistor in
>the path too ground. Please, use the shorting stick as previously described.
>And everything should be fine. Everyone, I only used capitols letters too
>draw attention too the danger of this young man's misunderstanding. Please,
>excuse my Urgency in This Matter.
>Safety Is My First Concern In All Matters of Electrical Design!

This is actually kind of a tricky thing.. Here at JPL, we have all sorts of
rules, intended to prevent Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) damage to
semiconductors that require people to be grounded at all times, which, of
course, is anathema when working with HV.  There's always an education
process involved when trying to reconcile the human safety with the flight
hardware safety concerns.

He's right... don't ground yourself when working with HV.