From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 6:42 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Secondary size

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/15/04 10:28:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

 >Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
 >
 >Ok lets say the break rate will be 120bps
 >The power input will be 900watts (15KV -at- 60mA)
 >The expected spark length is 50"
 >How does one choose a secondary height from that?
 >Please do not just tell me what height to make it.
 >I want to hear WHY.

As can be read from my comments below, the coil would be
basically proportional in length.  The sparks in the example below
are 2.56 times the coil length.  Using this same proportion
would give us a secondary 19.53" tall for your proposed coil
example above.  The length to height ratio keeps this proportion
to keep pace with the voltage involved for the particular spark
length.  This proportion was found to be suitable at 120 bps
based on various coils I've built.  Actually I was able to push
the sparks to 60" using the 23" tall secondary, but occasional
racing sparks occured, so I was pushing things too far at that
point.  If a very large or very small coil is built, the proportions
may be different, I'm not sure.  Actually I just remembered I built
a smaller coil using a 12" tall secondary and was able to get
34" sparks before breakdown, so this does give a similar proportion.

Please understand that these ratios, etc., are approximate
figures.

John