Re: coil design help

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Steve,

I agree with David. At 480 bps, the 0.097uF LTR cap size would charge to
41% of Vout (about 8.2kVp). The 0.024uF cap size would charge to 88%
(17.9kVp). The trade off is cap volts and cap energy. At 480 bps, I think
you end up with a difference in sparklength of about 4 inches (maybe). The
smaller cap size will cost less.

The LTR cap sizes are in general for NST type transformers. The LTR sizing
is setup for static gaps and SRSG's. The 0.097uF is for a static gap. The
SRSG cap size would be 0.168uF which would really drop the cap voltage at
the 480 bps rate.

Typically, pole transformers run STR (smaller than resonant).

Take care,
Bart