From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 10:33 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: SRSG or ARSG

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

There is a huge difference your not seeing here.

A static gap is self-limiting.  For example, if you have a static spark
gap set to fire at 18kV for instance, it will
always fire at approximately 18kV.  A rotary spark gap however is not.
Voltage will continue to rise dangerously
high when the electrodes are in transition. Depending on how long
transition time is, the voltage could reach
levels high enough to start damaging capacitors and other components.

Dan