RE: Static gap behavior

Original poster: C T <ct451-at-yahoo-dot-com>

All the tables I came across that list break down
voltages mention either spherical electrodes or needle
point ones. I was just wondering how they compare with
cylinders. Jim Lux's suggestion of 70k/inch seems
about right.

I'll make a few more gaps at 0.06, .07 and .08" and
see which one works best. I've tried blowing air on it
with no improvement in performance but was unaware of
this behavior back then. It would be a pity to spoil
this motion of the arc in any case.

http://www.geocities-dot-com/ct451/minicoil.html

The major problem with the coil is in the top load
because I never got around to finishing a toroid for
it. Just a tray on top, however, is handy for
destroying unwanted electronics (laptop) from work.
I'm probably the only person in this list that works
for KPMG (yes I work with accountants) so I think I'm
safe to mention that I mainly built this small coil to
take to work when my manager went on a weeks vacation.

Chris

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/SGapVolt.jpg),