Re: Epoxy-filled toroids

Original poster: brent meyer <res095fx-at-verizon-dot-net>

The more disparate the mix ratios on an epoxy, the softer it usually it ends
up curing.  You need to use an epoxy rated for application in thick films if
you want complete hardening in something with this much volume.  Table top
(decoupage) epoxies are somewhat aerobic, and need airflow to cure properly.
Use a resin rated for mold building, and you will get better results, though
be aware of the fact that motion will sometimes inhibit the formation of
polymeric bonds, and you will end up with a lump filled with voids.  Better
to use a high density (20-30lb/ cu ft) buildup foam instead of the epoxy.
Look for a supplier who sells fiberglassing/ composite materials.