Re: RSG Mounting Problem

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Ian,

IŽl start from the back of your message:
 > Oh how I wish I had access to a lathe ...<

There are a lot of machine shops in Sidney and suburbs, they all have a
lathe, and some of them are willing to do a simple one off for money, or
beer, and not to forget: a good story, supported by pictures and conveyed
with enthusiasm.

However:
 >my 12" diameter, 1/4 inch thick HDPE platter.<
1/4 inch is thin, but even worse: HDPE has a low melting point, so I
strongly suggest that you get a better suited material for the disc. The
electrodes are going to get hot during sparking conditions, and the last
thing you want to have flying round is SRSG electrodes. And they will, as
soon as they melt that HDPE disk, get out of alignment, hit the stationary
electrodes, shatter and take off on a tangent, and hit.....

Better materials are fiberglass/epoxy based materials like FR4 and G10 or
phenolic/linen based materials like tufnol etc. There may be other names to
the latter type, since they are all trade names.

Now, about that hub: You really owe it to yourself to have one made up at
that machine shop, but another alternative is to get a pulley for a timing
belt or a v-belt, bolt the disk on to it and then grind the perimeter with
a belt sander while the disk is rotated, perhaps not at full revs. to start
with.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Finn Hammer
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm