Re: Classroom Projects with a TC?

Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,
The sparks are of the same half-cycle, either all positive or negative.
With this knowledge one can apply it to the fact that similar fields repel.
Cheers,
John

Original poster: "harry"

Zap a cd in the microwave for 5 SECONDS ONLY , then hang with fising line
so spark will strike it .

Do not let the metal end of flourescent light touch sparks when holding it .
(Yes it does hurt %-).

A large clear bulb such as a 400-1000 watt Metal Halide or Mercury vapor
lamp puts on a good show.I set the bulb in a piece of heavy 2.5 inch pipe to
balance it on the toroid,the bulb gets hot at the top so do not run for more
than 10-15 seconds,if the glass outer casing is damaged do not use.

A roofing nail pointing up on top of the toroid makes a good break out
point.

BTW if I put one nail on top of the toroid the sparks go straight up, if i
put 4 nails on the toroid the sparks move away from each other on an
angle.Can someone tell me why this is .