Re:"Green Monster" magnifier

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hi Dan, Coilers,

You've done a nice job on your primary/secondary for the "Green Monster"
magnifier you're building!  I too am working on one, and just last week
I completed the primary which is 50 feet of 1/4 inch copper tubing that
is wound helically on an 11 inch diameter chunk of plastic water main.

The question I have for you and the list members has to do with how much
insulation is required between the primary and secondary?  The plastic
water main section has a 5/8 inch thick wall, which I'm hoping is more
than adequate.  The secondary will be wound on a similar piece of pipe
that is 9 inches in outside diameter.  That leaves a wee bit of room
to cover the windings with some poly sheeting if it's neccessary.

Here's the specs so far:

Primary  -  11 in. dia. by 9 in. long helix with 17 turns total.
             Measured inductance is 64 uH.

Secondary - 9 in. dia. by 20 in. long of #12 for 230 turns.
             Calculated inductance (WinTesla) is 4.4 mH.

Sorry that I have no pictures, but Santa didn't get me the digital
camera that I'd been hoping for.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle