Re: SSTC - experiments

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Dave,

One thing *you* are forgetting is that at 200-300kHz, a 4" electrode rod
placed above the top load is an
extremely inefficient radiator.  Its probably negligibly more than what
a SSTC radiates by itself.  To get
efficient transmission of RF power, you need an efficient antenna.  A
1/2 dipole antenna would have to be
2340 feet for 200kHz.  There are other harmonics, but these are buried
quite deeply.

Also, SSTCs radiate quite a bit of RF in general.  When I audio
modulated my coils, I can pick up the transmissions
on my friends HAM set-up (with his huge tower antennas) almost 10 miles
away (flat terrain, no hills, mountains, etc...)

Dan"

	What frequency do you hear it on?  Sounds like spurious oscillations
somewhere.  As for the inefficient radiator part, you're absolutely
correct.  Low-frequency radiation should be negligible.  Guys who are
trying to operate low-frequency beacons in that frequencvy range (I'm
one, range is 160 kHz to 190 kHz) use 50 foot antennas carefully loaded
for maximum efficiency and still put out peanut-power signals.

Ed