Re: Scott T - Re: IS 240VAC two-phase - NO

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 11:39 AM 1/8/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have a design or textbook reference on this sort of thing:
> > Scott-Ts, etc.  I've found a fair amount of qualitative stuff essentially
> > saying what Ed did, but not much on exactly how it's done. I assume that by
> > picking winding ratios correctly, one can sum the I and Q to produce any
> > phase, but, I was looking for  more detail on practical application,
> > particularly with reactive loads.
>
>         Look in any EE handbook.  I just did a Google search and found a
> lot of
>people making transformers but no really good description with a
>schematic diagram.  Best was from the URL:
>
>         www.marelco-dot-com/faq.htm#23
>
>Hope I typed that correctly.  It's essentially a system using two tapped
>transformers to add up polyphase voltages.  Since the transformers can
>be tightly coupled the device is in principle lossless and load
>reactance doesn't affect anything.  The analogy to I and Q and
>appropriate summing to yield any desired phase is just about perfect if
>you remember the process works both ways.
>
>Ed

Got a whole pile of handbooks here, and several have a diagram, and a bit
of description, but not much detail on design.  Sure, I can figure it all
out from first principles, but I was hoping that someone had cookbooked
this sort of thing... current in the various windings, turns ratios,
effects of parasitic C, R, etc.

Sort of the next step beyond the basic theory.