Re: Wire worries

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 07:50 AM 08/01/04 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: Phlunktfysics101-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 >Hello all!
 >
 >I'm a new coiler, and I'm at the point where I have just about everything
 >here to assemble my coil, except perhaps suitable wire.

<SNIP>

 >Do I need to shell out the big bucks for HV wire?

<SNIP>

 >Also, I built a "vacuum sucker gap" modeled after the one on Gary Lau's
 >website.  It seemed to be a good easy to make alternative until I can
 >rig up an RSG.  Has anyone else used one of these and do they work well?
 >
 >I appreciate any advice.
 >Jack

Hello Jack,

No need for the special wire for your high voltage leads.  Just keep it
clear of grounded or opposite potential wires and other coil parts and
you'll be fine.  I used some 18 gauge, teflon insulated hookup wire put
inside some plastic tubing I scrounged from the hospital (oxygen use),
and it's working dandy.

As to your gap, Gary's design is a good one and it works great even at
higher power levels.  My own design is loosely based on Gary's, with
the housing being somewhat different since I used some "off the shelf"
parts to construct it.  Mine handles the pig power easily.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle