My present coils are equipped with 6" by 24" toroids, and Antonio`s
INCA  program calculates, that these toroids break out at roughly 0.5MV.
The length of the coils are:

#1 -> 24" resulting in 21000kV/"
#2 -> 32" resulting in 16000kV/"

I admit that the short one is "pushing it" but #2 has been run in a museum
environment for 2 years now, and is holding up fine *.

Does the average voltage gradient have to be smaller when the top voltage
goes up?

Cheers, Finn Hammer

* IT`s on the front page:, the short one is the Ambassador.
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>5MV along 250" of coil length equals 2o,oooV per inch *average*
>gradient.  I'd venture to say that such a gradient is unrealistic by about
>a factor of 3 for a pampered indoor coil, and a factor of 5 for an
>outdoor-rated coil structure [where a coil of such dimensions would
>probably end up].
>For the ALF, I'm designing for 4.8MV, supported by an 1152" coilform.
>This might seem a bit conservative, but failures of the tower structure
>could be quite costly.
snip