Re: TESLA COIL REVISED

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Jaro,

You have a number of errors in your statements.

Firstly, the classic tesla coil's output voltage is created through the
resonant rise of voltage on the secondary coil.
And it is, as you stated have a ideal gain related to the sqrt (Ls/Lp) or
sqrt (Cp/Cs).

Secondly, your statements regarding solid state tesla coils are incorrect as
well.  A 50-turn secondary on a solid state
tesla coil would yield extremely poor results.  I have built a large number
of solid state tesla coils (>20) and have experimented with
many different sizes of secondaries, number of primary turns and secondary
turns.  I've also built solid state tesla coils ranging in
frequencies from about 45kHz up to 10MHz+.  Best performance always occurred
with a secondary with about 1000-1200 turns.
For longest output arcs, frequency ranges of 45kHz to 250kHz seemed to work
best and for cleanest CW brush-like discharges for
audio modulation started at about 300kHz (still considerable corona noise)
and at about 3MHz became completely silent.  Beyond 5MHz,
magical things start occuring with the output arc and the brush like
discharge starts becoming more and more like a candle flame, although I
haven't
been able to build a reliable solid state coil to operate at frequencies
above 3MHz just yet.

As others suggested before, instead of throwing around all this theory and
ideas, I would suggest as well that you start building some coils for
yourself and
see the results firsthand.

Dan